I had to start this off with the lyrics to my inspiration this week! I’m sure everyone knows this song from ZZ Top, and if you don’t you have been living under a rock!
The bottom line is this for me – a man who has style is sexy no matter what his looks are. Style is not something you can buy in a store – although we have all had our boyfriends made over from time to time – and they look okay, but you ladies know the difference between a guy who is dressed nice, and a guy who has style.
Style is something that you posses from within and when a guy has it, he is transformed into what I like to call “swagger.” To be honest, I haven’t seen many men in this area carry themselves with that certain “je ne sais quoi” that you see in places like NYC or LA. For me, when I am walking the streets of NYC, it is like total eye candy, and I’m just looking at the clothes! I really don’t think men know the power they could have if they just took the time to care and present themselves better.
A good looking guy who actually takes that extra time to iron his shirt or throw a blazer on over that t-shirt can go from being cute to hot. Don’t get me wrong, if you look like Brad Pitt you can pretty much wear dirt and look good, but for those non-Brad Pitt’s of the world, it is time to step it up a notch.
Here are some things that men can do to make sure that they carry themselves with a little “swagger” without looking like a cookie-cutter man who let their girlfriend or wife dress them. If you’re a guy and you’re single and you are not doing these things, try it one night and let me know how it goes. I promise that you will be noticed more then you ever have by the opposite sex.
1. Make sure you have a fresh haircut or a “shape-up”: Even if you are letting you hair grow out, you still need to shape up the side burns. It’s the key to looking like you didn’t try too hard, but actually took the time between haircuts to keep yourself looking presentable.
2. A clean white undershirt: This is key no matter what you are wearing if you are a guy, for two reasons: From a woman’s perspective, if you’re out and you lift your hands up, I would much rather see a white tee than a gut – girls you know what I am talking about. Also, white looks good on everyone and I just love when I see that peeking out under a button-up shirt. It shows you took time to get ready.
3. A belt: This just pulls your look together, even if you wearing a t-shirt and jeans—it just looks better.
4. Don’t be wrinkled: You never want to look like you picked your clothes off the floor.
5. Jeans that fit right: I hate when a really built, thin guy has jeans that don’t fit him properly, because, lets face it ladies, we like to check out the butt too! Right??
6. Cologne, but not too much: My favorite is a clean scent from Joe Malone or Polo Black.
7. Clean breath: Even if you brushed your teeth, check again and then again. If you’re out and you’re drinking make sure your bring gum. You could be the hottest guy in the room but bad breath is a HUGE turn-off.
8. A guy who can rock some jewelry, but not too much: I think its totally hot if a guy wears a necklace or a ring with a nice watch. It has to match your style and it’s super cool if you’re wearing something unique.
9. The right shoes: You need to know when to wear flip-flops, dress shoes or tennis shoes. It’s important to dress for the occasion. If you are going out dancing, wearing flip-flops may not be your best choice.
10. Most important – Be confident, smile, and carry yourself like a gentleman: Open the doors for ladies and let them get in front of you in the line for the bar. All of the things above will make her notice you, but if you’re a total jerk, she’s not going to hang around for too long.
Take a look at some of the sharpest dressed men that I admire, not just for they way they look and dress, but also how they carry themselves.
|Photo from This is Not New blog.|
|Photo of Joseph Gordon-Levitt from Little Bennet blog.|
|Photo from Granted Certiorari tmblr.|
|Photo of Jared Leto from The Hunkies blog.|
|Photo of James Dean from the Barewalls store.|
Take a look at other Bona Style features: