As an esthetician I think the teenage years are the toughest when it comes to your skin. You want to make a good impression with your friends and you feel like some days people are analyzing you by your skin condition. This is not a fun time in life if you are embarrassed about your skin…you are not alone. You will experience more skin problems during this time, than any other time in your life, but not to worry because there are solutions.
Just because you have breakouts doesn’t mean you should beat yourself up about it. Most causes are things you have no control over such as your hormones, which are the biggest culprit of unwanted pimples. The breakouts are the result of what happens when hormones become out of balance. It starts because you produce more sebum (oil) in your hair follicles. A combination of dead skin and bacteria get trapped, clogging the pore, causing it to get irritated. This is how a pimple is formed. I do not suggest picking at it. You can cause inflammation and scarring. This will make the healing time take even longer and can cause long term damage to your skin. Instead, if you have an inflamed pimple, put an ice cube on it and use a spot treatment product with Salicylic Acid. Seek advice for your type of breakouts and get extractions from an esthetician. Sometimes an exfoliation treatment with deep cleansing is all that is needed. Pure Oxygen Treatments also speed up the healing time.
Some other factors to keep in mind that can create problems are:
- poor skin care habits.
Stress plays a major role in making our hormones go crazy. Sometimes with just a full schedule and studying you can become over exhausted. It is important to find a balance and take a break here and there to rejuvenate yourself. Maybe take a walk or take a relaxing hot bath with a soothing cup of chamomile tea. Find your peace! It is different for everyone, but take the time to find what works for you.
Diet is so important because it has a major impact on your health and how you feel. If you eat badly, you usually feel that way. When you eat well you feel good; it’s that simple. Certain foods do not work well with our digestive systems. For example: cheese. I know, sorry teens; pizza is really not your friend. Cheese is mucus forming and is like sludge trying to move through our system. You might feel sluggish, bloated, constipated and experience more under the skin congestion from excess dairy. Yogurt—the healthy kind—is great for your intestinal health because it contains good bacteria. You may even want to take a probiotic.
There’s food you need to stay away from, also. If you eat too much canned and boxed foods with chemicals and preservatives your body cannot handle the overload. Try drinking a detox tea. Amazon Herbs makes an organic Rainforest Tea that works great. Sugar creates inflammation so it is not a recommended part of the diet if you have problems with acne.
Foods that I would love to see you eat more of because not only are they good for you but are great for your skin are:
- All berries
- Mangoes, which are high in vitamin A (you can even mash up for a face mask the enzymes are great for a renewed glow to your skin).
- Avocados are excellent for you and also reduce inflammation.
- Nuts are loaded with good fats and vitamin E.
- Eat plenty of greens for a healthy body
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and flush toxic build-up out of your body.
You are never too young to start a simple skin care routine; these are my suggestions for a clearer complexion:
- I would suggest washing your face every evening with a facial wash. Not bar soap because this can throw off the ph balance of the skin. This keeps your pores clear of excess oil and bacteria. If you have oily skin wash it in the morning and evening.
*If you are starting to notice congestion and blackheads on your skin I would start using a wash with Salicylic Acid to mildly exfoliate and treat the build-up of clogged pores. I would use a product that is a spot treatment if you only have a few breakouts.
- Use an oil free light moisturizer everyday with an SPF of at least 15 or more. This prevents skin cancer and keeps your skin youthful. It may not seem like a big deal to you now but it is very important to start. Some of the damage that can happen could be significantly less by using this simple addition to your skincare routine.
- You should get a teen facial if you are experiencing skin problems. I can help you in many ways once I see what is the likely culprit of your skin problems. It is a very relaxing experience with a deep steam cleansing of your pores, some extractions may be needed, and the facial concludes with a nice relaxing massage and mask. I offer complimentary skin care consultations and give you samples of Dermalogica Clean Start products that are made just for teen skin care.
Always feel free to ask me any questions on my facebook page Christy Stone Trala, Esthetician. I work at Robin Walter Salon & Spa in Ocean Pines, Md. If you would like to make an appointment please call 410-208-2576. The products I mentioned can be purchased at the Spa or shipped to you if you are not in the area.