This is your reality check to see how well you are aging, or not.
Do you have any of the following?
- Nasolabial folds form from the outside of the nose to the corners of your mouth
- Crow’s feet – loose skin on upper lids and under eye bags
- Dark, discolored spots
- Broken capillaries
- Vertical lines on the upper lip
- Developing loose jaw line and jowls
- Frown lines between the brows
- Horizontal lines on the forehead
- Dull complexion
- Fine lines and deep wrinkles
Okay, don’t get depressed if you answered yes to more than one of these telltale signs. You don’t have to run off to a cosmetic surgeon either. Aging is inevitable, but you can look better at any age. I can help you, but first you must understand the why before the how.
Why does your skin age? Your skin is the largest organ in the body and is exposed to all elements. Here are some of the major players:
- Oil production slows down
- Hormones stop working as they used to
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Sun damage
- Poor diet
- Free radicals deplete cells of oxygen
- Poor circulation makes skin lose its color
Now that you know what causes the aging of your skin I would suggest first to get your skin analyzed by an Esthetician (me, of course), to determine your skin type and what you would like to improve about it. What you do to your skin on a daily basis is just as important as getting a facial once month. Facials should be perceived as a health issue, not just a pampered indulgence. It is just as important as dental check ups and physical exams to me. If you feel good, you’re going to look good. If you look good…you’re going to feel even better!
How to get better looking skin now:
1) See an Esthetician for a facial based on your skin type. This will renew and rejuvenate a dull complexion and give you that healthy glow back. A daily skin care regimen for your special needs will be recommended. It is never too late to start practicing good skin care. You can make a difference; you just have to do it.
2) Use a sunscreen everyday and save your face from prematurely aging. Even if you plan on just being in the car driving, you are still exposed to damaging rays that can age you. The sun will give you wrinkles and dark discoloration spots. Use a self-tanner or get an airbrush tan. For your face, use a bronzing powder.
3) Reduce alcohol and caffeine intake. Both will dry your skin out. Drink plenty of water if you want to look your best.
4) Quit smoking. It causes more lines around your mouth and face. Smoking decreases the blood supply to your skin and breaks down a natural protein that is needed for collagen and elastin. Lack of oxygen also makes your complexion look yellow and sallow. Get plenty of exercise to improve your blood circulation. Drink a detox tea or do a foot detox treatment to get chemicals out of your body.
5) Eat healthy. A balanced diet is the fastest way to look and feel better. You are what you eat. Stay away from processed foods loaded with preservatives and toxins; they are hard for your body to break down. Anything your body cannot get rid of will eventually try to expel itself through your skin. That is why people with a poor diet often have a bad complexion.
6) Get plenty of rest. Dark circles and puffy eyes might just mean you are sleep deprived. Your body rejuvenates and repairs itself while you are sleeping.
7) Use an exfoliant to renew cells. As we get older our cell turn over slows down. Anti-aging creams with vitamin A and glycolic acids are my choice because they help to stimulate collagen and work on the cellular level where it counts. (I would recommend one that is for your skin type; some people can be sensitive to active ingredients.) This will also give a smoother look to your skin and minimize the appearance of large pores. I highly suggest you to use a topical vitamin C serum as well. This keeps your skin youthful and protects it from further sun damage.
You can find me at Robin Walter Salon and Spa. Come in for a free consultation or get a complimentary foot reflexology with any facial this month. Mention this special at the time of booking your appointment 410-208-2576. You can also find me on Facebook @ Christy Stone Trala, Esthetician. I have been practicing skin care for over 20 years. Each person is unique and has specific needs. You will learn so much in a facial treatment because you will understand the why and how to take care of yourself. I recommend a plan of action to take to looking better at whatever age you are.