Off the top of your head, can you name the unique fruit that only has seeds on the outside? Well of course it’s the strawberry! February 27th we are celebrating the sweet, red fruit that is the small and juicy Strawberry. Now, if you’re a huge fan of anything strawberry, the ShoreBread team has whipped up a few tasty and delicious recipes that incorporate strawberries including strawberry apple salsa, strawberry cream cheese cobbler, strawberry balsamic chicken, strawberry chocolate chip cookies, and even strawberry sangria!
Strawberry Apple Salsa
Strawberry Apple Salsa is a really simple and refreshing recipe using all fresh ingredients! This is a great appetizer to serve at a get together or something to snack on while watching a movie. Many natural ingredients are used in this recipe which can be very beneficial to your health.
- 1 lb. fresh Florida strawberries, diced
- 1/2 of a granny smith apple, diced
- 1 – 2 jalapeno peppers, small diced
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- a handful of fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 -2 tsp. honey
- pinch of salt
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- corn tortilla chips for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients up to corn tortilla chips. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve with corn tortilla chips.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Cobbler
Strawberry Cream Cheese Cobbler is the perfect treat to serve for dessert on National Strawberry Day. This is a quick and easy recipe to satisfy everyone’s sugar cravings. It’s like cheesecake with a twist (and strawberries, of course).
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 qt strawberries, whole, capped and washed
- 4 oz cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and pour into a 9×13 inch glass baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the egg, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour directly over the butter in the baking dish, but do not stir.
- Add the strawberries, arranging in a single layer as much as possible. Sprinkle cream cheese pieces over strawberries.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbling.
- Take out and serve! It’s perfect to serve warm or cold!
Strawberry Balsamic Chicken
The Strawberry Balsamic Chicken recipe is perfect to transition into the spring and summer months. If you like caprese salad, you will love this recipe! Whether you put it over salad or serve with a side of rice and veggies you are bound to make it again!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella ball (or shredded mozzarella), roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine chicken breasts and 1/2 cup balsamic in a ziplock bag. Refrigerate for at least 5 minutes, or up to 5 hours. When ready to cook, place chicken in a baking dish and pour the remaining vinegar on top. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Meanwhile, bring the remaining 1/2 cup vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until reduced by half. Remove and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together strawberries, mozzarella and basil to make a caprese topping.
- When the chicken is ready, transfer to serving dishes. Then top with the strawberry caprese topping, and then drizzle with the reduced balsamic vinegar.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Strawberry chocolate chip cookies are to die for! If you want to switch up your usual chocolate chip cookies, have you ever thought about adding strawberry flavor to them? We’re going to tell you how. With only a few basic ingredients, you can bake a pretty delightful strawberry chocolate chip cookie to serve to your family and guests!
- 1 box (18.25 oz) strawberry cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable/canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix and baking powder. Set aside. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, and vanilla by hand. Add the egg mixture to the cake mixture and stir to form a dough- stir vigorously until all of the pockets of dry cake mix are gone. Gently mix in the chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded balls of dough, about 2 Tablespoons each, onto prepared baking sheet. Stick a few more chocolate chips on top of the cookie dough balls if you want them for looks, if desired. Make sure the balls of dough are taller than they are wide. See here for more details.
- Bake for 10 minutes – do not let the cookies get brown. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes; they will be very soft at first. As they cool, the tops may settle down; press them down gently with your fingers if they are not sinking much. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you get home from a long work day and want to treat yourself to an adult beverage or two, but are looking to switch it up, try a glass of Strawberry Sangria. Not only will this make you wish it was summer, but it will leave you pouring another glass.
- Strawberry Syrup (allow time to chill)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- cup ½ granulated sugar
- cup ½ water
Sangria (allow time to chill)
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 orange halved and sliced
- juice of 1 orange
- cup ¼ orange liqueur optional
- 1 bottle rosé or white wine I used a sparkling rosé
- Strawberry syrup to taste, recipe above
- Place the strawberries, sugar, and water in a saucepan set over medium heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and juicy.
- Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and pour the strawberry mixture through the strainer. Use the back of a spoon to press the strawberries against the strainer, extracting as much juice/syrup as possible. Chill the syrup.
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher and stir. Chill for several hours to allow the flavors to combine. Serve chilled over ice.
Whether you put them in desserts, smoothies, or on top of your salads, we can all agree that strawberries are very diverse when it comes to cooking. So, no matter what you do with them, strawberries are great! What are your favorite recipes that incorporate strawberries?