This delicious and nutrient-rich soup is perfect hot or cold, depending on the season.
1 large red bell pepper
2 pounds ripe tomatoes
1 cup spicy tomato juice
½ cup chicken or beef stock (or more)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
10 whole fresh basil leaves
Pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt for garnish
10 basil leaves chopped for garnish
1 large garlic clove, minced
¼ cup olive oil
1. Roast bell pepper in 375 degree oven until charred and soft, about 10 minutes. Peel and seed pepper and cut into chunks.
2. Core and cut tomatoes into chunks.
3. In a food processor, purée the tomatoes and red bell pepper, tomato juice, lemon juice, stock and sugar – purée until smooth.
4. Add 10 basil leaves and continue to purée until smooth. Add more stock if a thinner consistency is desired.
5. Serve soup with garnish of sour cream and chopped basil.
6. Prepare garlic toast by sautéing garlic in olive oil until golden, 3-4 minutes.
7. Slice baguette and place on a baking sheet.
8. Brush baguette slices with garlic oil and toast in a 375 degree oven for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with soup.