- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced Baby Portobello mushrooms
- 3 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom caps chopped
- 1 cup sliced, cleaned, leeks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar roasted red pepper, drained and chopped
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups goat cheese or feta cheese
- 9 cups sourdough bread, cubed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine fresh herbs. Set aside. Heat oil in large skillet. Add mushrooms, leeks, salt and pepper.
Sauté 10 minutes. Add fresh herbs and chopped red peppers, cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Combine eggs, half and half and ½ goat cheese. Stir in mushroom mixture. Add bread cubes, stir entire mixture gently. Spoon into 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 45 minutes, set and lightly browned. Remove. Let casserole settle for 5 minutes before cutting.
Note: This is a vegetarian dish. You can add 1 pound cooked chopped hot sausage.
Vicki Barrett is the innkeeper and owner of the Inn on the Ocean in Ocean City, MD. She published a cookbook a few years ago. It is titled Everything New Under the Sun and is available for purchase at the Inn, 1001 Atlantic Avenue, on the boardwalk.