Roasted Beet, Pear, Walnut and Goat Cheese Salad
1 pound beets (golden, red or combination)
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 large pear, cored and sliced
3 cups Arugula or mixed salad greens
4 Tbsp. chopped walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup crumbled low-fat goat cheese
1 Tbsp. orange juice
2 Tbsp. sherry or champagne vinegar
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. honey
1 Tbsp. minced shallots
1/4 tsp. salt
Freshly ground pepper
1. Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a jar. Shake vigorously or whisk together in a bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Trim beet greens, leaving root and an inch of stem; scrub beets with vegetable brush.
3. Place beets on pan coated with cooking spray. Roast beets for 45 minutes or until tender; when cool, rub off skins and trim root and stem.
4. Slice beets into bite-size pieces; drizzle with a tablespoon of vinaigrette and toss to coat.
5. Divide Arugula on six salad plates; top each with beets, pears, onion, cheese and nuts; drizzle with remaining salad dressing.