1 large butternut squash
1 large acorn squash
1 large onion, peeled and cut in half
1 whole garlic bulb
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted, divided
5 cups chicken broth, low sodium, fat-free
1/2 cup apple juice
1 ½ tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
6 Tbsp. fat-free sour cream or plain yogurt
2 Tbsp. fresh or dried chives
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Cut each squash in half, scoop out seeds and place cut side down along with onion on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Cut top off of garlic bulb, drizzle with ½ teaspoon olive oil on cut surface, wrap bulb in aluminum foil and place on sheet with other vegetables. Roast vegetables for approximately 45 minutes or until tender.
3. Scoop flesh from both squash, squeeze out garlic flesh from bulb and place in heavy-bottom pot along with onion, ½ cup almonds, chicken stock, apple juice and spices. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Using a hand or traditional blender, purée soup in batches until smooth; return to pot and add fat-free half-and-half and cook until thoroughly heated.
5. Serve immediately with a garnish of fat-free sour cream, remaining almonds and a sprinkle of chives.