Saturated Fat: 3g
- 1 onions (small, finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound skinless chicken thighs (boneless, trimmed of fat)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (trimmed of fat)
- whole wheat rolls
- 1 pound slaw mix (tricolor, red and green cabbage and carrots)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Place all of the ingredients except the chicken in the bowl of a slow cooker. Add the chicken and turn to coat the pieces with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Shred the meat with two forks.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and stir in enough sauce to coat all of the meat well (I ended up with about 2 ½ cups sauce and used about 1 ¾ cup to toss with the chicken). Save remaining sauce to serve on the side.
- Serve pulled chicken on whole wheat rolls with Summer Coleslaw (see recipe below) or other desired toppings.
Chef: The Foodie Physician