Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- 2 pounds eggplant (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 zucchini (about 8 oz each, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 red bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 onions (roughly chopped)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt (and pepper)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- Adjust oven rack 4 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. If you have different heat settings available on your broiler, set it to medium.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with foil.
- In a very large bowl, combine egg plant, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, olive oil, sugar, garlic, and herbs de Provence. Toss until combined.
- Divide vegetables evenly between prepared sheets and spread into a single layer. Broil, 1 sheet at a time, until vegetables begin to brown, about 10 minutes (or faster, if your broiler has only one heat setting and it’s super hot!) While the veggies are broiling, turn them a couple times during the cooking process to evenly cook them. Transfer broiled vegetables to slow cooker and add tomatoes.
- Stir flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper into vegetables in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until veggies are tender, about 4 hours on low.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, Parmesan, and basil. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Chef: Our Best Bites