- 6 cups water
- 6 medium potatoes peeled – cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 large tomatoes, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 medium carrots cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 medium zucchini cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 medium onions coarsely chopped
- 2 green peppers coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium heat. Cook for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
Serves 8 – 10.
The soup requires many garden-grown vegetables and can be heated over a hot fire. If you’d like to see a corresponding story about how Victory Garden Soup earned its name, check out this ShoreBread article: The Anna Hazzard Tent House & the Beginnings of Rehoboth Beach. Nancy Alexander works at the Rehoboth Beach Museum.