America’s Coolest Small Town is gearing up for what is primed to be the best Bathtub Race to date! The Berlin Maryland Chamber of Commerce is holding its 25th Annual Bathtub Races in downtown Berlin on Main Street July 18th. What’s long been a beloved tradition, the highly entertaining event is a favorite amongst locals across the Eastern Shore and is hailed as one of the most popular events of the summer. The race is set to begin around 6:15PM.
Since 1991, local businesses around the Berlin and Ocean City area have been competing in the event, spending weeks transforming tubs, bins, carts – basically anything that will hold water – into art masterpieces in hopes of winning the race, year-long bragging rights, and the coveted trophy. The best part? Businesses can have fun participating in the race while also advertising on the side of their tubs.
For those of you scratching your heads and thinking, ‘what the heck is a bathtub race?’ here’s a few of the finer points. Teams provide and decorate their own tubs. Bathtubs must hold a minimum of 2 gallons of water along with at least one rider (helmets required!) and only one person pushing. Wheels are limited to 26 inches; however there is no limit to the number of wheels. Lastly – and perhaps most importantly – each bathtub must be equipped with brakes and steering.
“The Berlin Bath Tub Race is a great way to see local businesses join together for a fun town event! This year marks the 25th year, so be sure to grab the family and come out to celebrate in Americas Coolest Small Town,” said Gina Whaley, employee for reigning champions D3 Corp. Last year D3Corp took home the trophy – past winners include Ayers Creek Adventures, Baked Dessert Cafe, PNC Bank and the Berlin Shoe Box.
In addition to the first place trophy and bragging rights, the winner also receives a free banner ad on the Berlin Maryland Chamber of Commerce website, as well as being recognized through Berlin’s email blasts. In addition this year, the Berlin Chamber has announced that they are welcoming track sponsors for the race. Businesses can have their logo proudly displayed along the side of the track for the crowds and participants to check out.
Whether you’re visiting for the weekend or live on the Eastern Shore year round, the Berlin Bathtub Race is the place to be for a fun, entertainment-filled night. Come check out your favorite local businesses truly enjoy one of our favorite towns here on the Shore and all it has to offer.
- Tub and Team Entry Fees are $75 for Berlin Chamber members and $100 for non-members
- Wheels may be no longer than 26 inches
- Bathtubs must have brakes and steering
- There must be at least one rider (helmet required)
- No more than one person can push (closed toe shoes only)
- Bathtub must hold a minimum of 2 gallons of water
- There is no limit to the number of wheels
- Businesses may advertise on the sides of their bathtub
- Tub must be under control of a pusher at all times and may not be released until tub has come to a complete stop
- Sponsor supplied banners are $125
- Banners cannot exceed 4 feet tall or 8 feet wide
- Fees for track sponsors with a Chamber supplied banner is $200 and it’s yours to keep
- Berlin MD Chamber of Commerce: 410-641-4775 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This year’s chair- Tanja Giles: 410-213-2400 Email: email@example.com
More INFO- www.BerlinChamber.org