Saturated Fat: 0g
- 1/2 cup quinoa (well rinsed)
- 15 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 15 ounces corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup sweet pepper (chopped)
- 1 poblano chilies (~3/4s cup, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- green onions
- Rinse the quinoa well. I rinse my quinoa in a mesh strainer under hot water.
- Place the washed quinoa, drained and rinsed black beans, undrained diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed corn in the slow cooker.
- Chop the sweet peppers and poblano chili pepper (remove seeds if desired). Add the chopped peppers, minced garlic, and chopped onion to the slow cooker. Stir everything together. Add in the chili powder, ground cumin, and chicken broth. Stir again and cook for 3-4 hours on high or until the broth is completely absorbed and the quinoa is cooked through. All slow cookers cook a little differently so make sure to occasionally check the dish to make sure the quinoa isn’t burning or sticking all to the sides.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, taco seasoning to taste, and green onions if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the mozzarella cheese and enjoy immediately.
- Have leftovers? I loved placing the mixture into a large tortilla (with extra cheese), rolling it up tight, and placing it in a skillet to brown the edges (1-2 minutes, switching sides every 30 seconds at medium heat). SO good!
Chef: Chelsea's Messy Apron