Slow Cooker Chocolate Cherry Steel Cut Oatmeal
Saturated Fat: 2g
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce chocolate (chopped unsweetened bakers)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups tart cherries (frozen)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine all the ingredients for the oatmeal in a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker (*see note) and stir together.
- Cover, cook on low for 8 hours the night before and set so that the slow cooker stays on warm after it’s done cooking.
- In the morning, combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small sauce pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 7-10 minutes until thickened.
- Uncover the oatmeal, stir and add a bit more milk if it’s thickened up too much.
- Spoon the oatmeal into serving bowls and top with the cherry sauce.
If your slow cooker is larger than this, you will want to double the recipe so that the oatmeal doesn’t burn as it will be spread too thin in a larger slow cooker.
Chef: Running to the Kitchen