- 1¼ c. pine nuts, toasted, divided
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tsp. minced shallot or green onion
- ¾ tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- ½ c. olive oil
- to taste salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1¼ lbs. spinach, stemmed
- 1 sm. bunch basil, stemmed
- 1 (4-oz.) piece Parmesan cheese, cut into shavings with vegetable peeler
Combine 1 cup pine nuts, egg, shallots, lemon juice and vinegar in a blender. With the machine running, drizzle in the olive oil and blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Combine spinach and basil in a salad bowl. Toss with dressing. Top with remaining pine nuts and Parmesan shavings. Makes 6 servings.
Salad can be made without a blender, also. Just toss spinach in vinegar-pine nut mix and serve.
Vicki Barrett is the innkeeper and owner of the Inn on the Ocean in Ocean City, MD. She published a cookbook a few years ago. It is titled Everything New Under the Sun and is available for purchase at the Inn, 1001 Atlantic Avenue, on the boardwalk.