This zesty vegetable soup includes beans for fiber and protein.
1 tsp. olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup diced celery
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/8 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
3 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups diced zucchini
1 cup diced carrots
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 garlic clove, minced
4 tsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup canned cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, not drained
1/4 cup uncooked ditalini (very short tubular macaroni) or elbow macaroni
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Add water or broth and all vegetables, herbs and seasoning, beans and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 25 minutes.
5. Add pasta; cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
6. Ladle into individual bowls and sprinkle with cheese.