Saturated Fat: 0g
- 1 green cabbage (large, whole)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup green lentil (cooked, 1/2 cup dried lentils)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (3/4 cup dried rice)
- 1 onions (small, finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cups dried apricot (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (Split between filling and tomato sauce)
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Bring a large stock pot of water to boil. Place whole cabbage in pot and boil until leaves are tender and easily peel off, about 5-7 minutes. Turn off heat and carefully remove the cabbage and place on a cutting board. Pull the leaves apart (keeping them whole) and place on a paper towel lined surface.
- While cabbage is boiling, heat one tablespoon olive oil on medium high heat and sautee onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and dried herbs, spices to the pan. Heat an additional minute or until fragrant. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Wipe out the pan.
- Stir in the lentils, rice, and dried fruit to the onion mixture. Add one tablespoon of tomato paste and soy sauce. Set aside.
- To make the rolls, place one to two tablespoons of the mixture onto end of a cabbage leaf, tuck in the sides and gently roll, like a burrito.
- In the same pan that made the onion mixture, heat the remaining olive oil on medium heat. Add the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer, about 10 minutes.
- Place the rolls with the seam side down on atop the sauce. Let simmer and spoon sauce on top to moisten, about 5-10 minutes.
Chef: One Hungry Bunny