Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- 1 pound turkey (or chicken sausage, casings removed)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 orange bell pepper (or red, sliced)
- 1 whole wheat pizza dough (recipe)
- flour (for dusting)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 ounces black olives (sliced, 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella (shredded)
- 6 basil leaves (thinly sliced)
- tomato sauce (Extra, for serving, if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add olive oil and cook the peppers until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Dust the counter with flour and roll each piece of dough into a 9- by 9-inch circle.
- Spread ¼ cup of tomato sauce on one half of each dough circle, leaving a ½-inch border.
- Divide the sausage, peppers, olives cheese and basil evenly between the pizza dough, piling on top of the tomato sauce.
- Fold the other side of the dough over top of the filling and, using a fork or your fingers, seal the edges of the dough.
- Place the calzones on the baking sheet and bake until the dough is golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let the calzones rest for 5 minutes, than cut in half and serve with extra tomato sauce, if desired.
Chef: Cookin' Canuck