The Rotary Club of Salisbury recognized 12 local nonprofits, granting a total of $40,280 during the Governors Challenge basketball tournament on Friday, December 27, 2019.
The Rotary Club of Salisbury is a partner with Wicomico County for the annual Governors Challenge basketball tournament and made its 3 Point Initiative grants for the fourth year.
Rotary’s 3 Point Initiative promotes responsibility, integrity and academic achievement.
The 2019 3 Point Initiative grant recipients are:
- Community of Joy Church – Art Program at Community Garden
- Child and Family Foundation – One Year to Empowerment
- Christian Shelter – Counseling for Children of Homeless
- Epoch Dream Center – Summer Academic Achievement Program
- Horizons Salisbury – Academic Summer Program and Annual Support
- Main Street Gym – Tuition for Student Membership
- Mizzle House Foundation – Music and Fine Art Instruction
- Off Street Sports Performance – After School Tutoring for Students
- Prince Street Elementary – Nothin’ but Nets Program
- Salisbury Urban Ministries – Kids’ Cafe
- United Way of the Lower Eastern Shore – Imagination Library
- Wicomico Board of Education – Destination Imagination
Dan Williams, past president of the Rotary Club of Salisbury and the co-lead with Art Cooley of the club’s Governor’s Challenge Committee, announced the grant recipients at the Wicomico Youth & Civic Center during the tournament on Dec. 27.
The 39th annual Governors Challenge concluded Dec. 31.
Funds for the 3 Point Initiative grant were raised through the Rotary Club of Salisbury’s work in procuring sponsors for the tournament. Support also came from the Donnie Williams Foundation, the Richard and Patricia Hazel Community Fund, the Richard Henson Foundation and the First Shore Federal Savings and Loan.
In the past four years, the Rotary Club of Salisbury has presented $124,620 to local organizations.
The Rotary Club of Salisbury meets every Thursday at 6 p.m. in the Rotary Scout and Community Center at 1715 Riverside Drive in Salisbury. To learn more about the Rotary Club of Salisbury or to obtain membership information, please contact Membership Chairman Ginnie Malone at 410-251-6188 or GMalone@cbmove.com or visit the club’s website at www.rotarysalisbury.org.
Pictured: The Rotary Club of Salisbury announced the recipients of the 3 Point Initiative grant funding on Dec. 27 at the Wicomico Youth & Civic Center during the Governors Challenge basketball tournament. In this photo, members of the Rotary Club of Salisbury pose with grant recipients.