The appearance of veins can make you not want to expose your legs. At some time in their lives, 50% of all women experience vein disease, but by understanding the causes you can prevent some of it from occurring. What happens is that the vein valves become weak or damaged, causing the blood to collect and get backed up, which makes the vein larger and can eventually become varicose.
These are factors that cause or increase the problem:
- Sun exposure
- Increasing age
- Lack of movement
- Hormonal changes
Symptoms that you may feel are pain or throbbing. You may want to get an ultrasound to check the flow of your veins and to check for blood clots. Blue or red veins can appear raised or you can have a cluster that looks like a spider’s web.
Here are some tips to give you better vein health:
- Don’t sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Elevate your legs
- Try not to cross your legs
- Avoid wearing high heels for long periods of time
- Wear support stockings
- Control your weight to avoid pressure
- Walk or exercise to increase circulation
- Always wear a sunscreen
Diet and supplements:
- Eat a high fiber diet; constipation will increase problems
- Lower salt intake to reduce swelling
- Supplement with Ester C, Horsechestnut Extract, Bilberry, Butcher’s Broom, Ginkgo and Bioflavenoids.
To temporarily improve the appearance, try these tips:
- Use a self tanner or get an airbrush tan, which can help to camouflage some of the lighter veins.
- If you want to conceal darker veins try a waterproof leg make-up. Be sure to match your skin tone.
Solutions to help remedy the problem long term are:
- Sclerotherapy – This is a chemical injection that stops the flow of blood in the vein; it then turns to scar tissue and fades. Side effects include a slight stinging and burning sensation.
- Surface laser treatments – Side effects include discoloration of the skin for a month or two, and discomfort because the treatment is very hot. This is not a treatment that can be done on all types of veins.
- For a more permanent solution, consult with Vein Clinics of America who will conduct a thorough check for the main cause.
Christy Stone Trala is a licensed Esthetician and Reflexologist at Robin Walter Salon & Spa in Ocean Pines, MD. Call 410-208-2576 to get a Foot Reflexology Massage ($45 value) FREE with any Facial by Christy.