Every October, the pier in Ocean City is taken over by a sea of pink for the ACS Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K Walk/Run. This fundraiser to benefit the American Cancer Society has proved time and time again that Ocean City is a great place for bringing awareness to great causes and it becoming a success story.
This is obviously a great opportunity for everyone to walk or run to honor breast cancer survivors, remember loved ones and raise awareness. The event caters to everyone by having a competitive run and then a regular walk, the walk is free, but there is a registration fee of for the run. The run begins at 9AM and the walk begins at 9:30.
Following the race there will be awards and refreshments at the staging area in the Inlet Lot. Those involved will walk/run the route and is from the pier to 15th Street and back.
Just a few hours of your time at the non-competitive event will eventually help bring a lifetime of change for people facing breast cancer and their families. This event raises money to help the American Cancer Society fight the disease with Breast Cancer Research, information and services, and to provide access to mammograms for women who need them. We encourage everyone to sign up or donate today for the honor to finish the fight against breast cancer.
The ACS is the leader in the fight to end breast cancer, as they invest more in breast cancer research than any other type of cancer. The American Cancer Society is prevalent in every community and provides free information and services to people fighting the disease. Currently, one in every two women newly diagnosed with breast cancer turns to the ACS for help.
FACTS ABOUT BREAST CANCER:
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the US, other than skin cancer.
- It is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer.
- The chance of a woman having invasive breast cancer sometime during her life is a little less 1 in 8.
- The chance of dying from breast cancer is about 1 in 36.
- Breast cancer death rates have been steadily going down. (Which is probably the result of finding the cancer earlier and better treatment.)
- Right now there are more than 2 ½ million breast cancer survivors in the United States.
STEPS THAT HELP YOU IMPROVE YOUR ODDS AGAINST BREAST CANCER:
- The earlier breast cancer is found, the better.
- If you are 40 or older, get a mammogram and a breast exam every year.
- Maintain a healthy weight throughout your life.
- Be physically active on a regular basis.
- Limit alcohol use to less than 1 drink each day.
Participating in the ACS Making Strides for Breast Cancer Awareness is one of the many ways locally you can support breast cancer awareness. Be sure to lookout for our own “ShoreBread Way” to bring breast cancer awareness to the fore front!
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5k Run/Walk