Summer is one of our favorite seasons here at Shorebread. We have a laundry list of things that make summer the most spectacular season including going to the beach, soaking up some Vitamin D, and eating scrumptious food. There is another really important reason we love summer: Fruit! We’re not talking just talking any kind of fruit–more specifically, peaches!
Peach season is here and what better way to celebrate summer than celebrating the ripest, sweetest, and juiciest fruit? National Peach month is approaching in August and there are plenty of destinations, events and recipes to try on the shore.
The Town of Berlin is kicking-off National Peach Month with their Berlin Peach Festival on August 4, 2018 starting at 11:00 a.m. This five hour long event will take place at the Calvin B. Taylor Museum for some fun, festive activities including pie-baking contests, live music, crafts, games and much more! Be sure to bring some extra cash as vendors are bringing hand-crafted items and food, too!
While you’re in town, stop into Baked Cafe Desserts and try their Peach Dumplings! Not only are they to-die-for, but it will make you feel like you are sitting in your grandmother’s kitchen on a Sunday afternoon.
Festivals aren’t the only way to celebrate the fuzzy, sweet, colorful fruit. Don’t forget about your local peach farms! There are TONS of farms on the Eastern Shore; you are bound to come across one. To name a few:
Twin Oak Farms located in Stockton, Maryland has been around for 75 years. Peaches aren’t the only produce offered at this farm; they have tons of other veggies and fruits, too!
Oakley’s Farm Market located in Hebron, Maryland is a fully grown produce market, retail as well as wholesale that provide fresh fruits and vegetables which spreads the peach love all around.
If you happen to pick your own peaches, make sure to put them to good use by using them in a recipe! Here is a Shorebread favorite that is delicious, easy and certainly impressive for a friend or family gathering!
Easy Peach Cobbler
For the filling…
- 4 cups peaches
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
For the topping…
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Place the sliced peaches in a bowl; sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, almond extract, and flour. Mix gently.
- Spread evenly in dish.
- Combine all dry ingredients for cobbler crust in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or your fingers, to make the texture like coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk; stir to form a soft dough.
- Drop rounded spoonfuls of dough on top.
- Sprinkle with the tablespoon of raw sugar.
- Bake until fruit is bubbly and crust topping is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Celebrate one of the best fruits to ever exist this season with National Peach month August 2018!