It’s that magical time of year when we start to day dream about summer. February is over and as we move into March we start to get glimpses (albeit brief ones) of summer fun on the horizon. One such instance is the recent announcement of the Bethany Beach Bandstand programming for the 2014 season.
The Bandstand performances are one of our favorite free events in Bethany Beach, providing an ideal setting for relaxing with family and friends while enjoying live music. Musical performances take place every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with a few mid-week bookings as well. For the most part, shows start at 7:30pm. In addition to the musical guests highlighted in the Summer Concert Series, the Bethany Beach Bandstand is also host to free movie nights and bonfires. In addition, every Wednesday night is kid’s night, with activities held at both Town Hall and the Bandstand.
This year marks the return of many local favorites, as well as some exciting new additions, including a trio of nationally know singer-songwriters. Tribute bands are included in the line-up, with homage being paid to the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash and Bob Marley. Rising Ocean City country band Haleytown will be making their debut at the Bandstand this year, along with Ernie Halter and Tyrone Wells.
Other notable nights include Eric Lindell, who is back after drawing large crowds last year, as well as a dance party throw-down with DJ Batman playing hits from the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s. Monday and Thursday nights will be reserved for movie and bonfire nights, respectively.
Check out the full lineup:
May and June
• May 24: Sean Reilly (Frank Sinatra tribute)
• May 25: U.S. Navy Cruisers
• June 13: The British Invasion
• June 14: Fish Whistle
• June 15: Delmarva Big Band
• June 20: Monkee Paw
• June 21: Still Surfin’ (Beach Boys Tribute)
• June 22: Melissa Alesi 5:30-7 p.m.; Lauren Mitchell Band 7:30-9 p.m.
• June 27: Sir Rod (A Tribute to Rod Stewart)
• June 28: Ernie Halter
• June 29: Electric Velvet
• July 1: “Dancing through the Decades” with DJ Batman. 7-9:30 p.m.
• July 2: Uncle Pete with kids on the Bandstand
• July 3: National Guard Army Show Band from 5:30-7 p.m. followed by a bonfire at dusk on the beach at Campbell Place
• July 4: NO BAND ON THE FOURTH; parade at noon, horseshoe-throwing contest at 2 p.m., awards ceremony at 7:15 p.m.; fireworks at dusk
• July 5: The Stims
• July 6: Sarah Williams
• July 9: Kids’ Night: Songs by Jim Hossick on the Bandstand
• July 11: David Stone’s Johnny Cash Tribute
• July 12: Haleytown
• July 13: Karaoke 7-9:30 p.m.; registration begins at 6 p.m. on the Bandstand Plaza
• July 16: Kids’ Night: Children’s Theater “Peter Pan” at Town Hall with shows at 6 and 7 p.m.; tickets must be picked up at Town Hall at 8 a.m. on the day of the show
• July 18: Mario Rocco’s Parade of Stars
• July 19: The Threetles (Beatles Tribute)
• July 20: Ryan Tennis and the Clubhouse Band 6:30-7:15 p.m.; Eric Lindell & The Sunliners 7:30-9 p.m.
• July 23: Kids’ Night: Children’s Theater: Alice in Wonderland at Town Hall with shows at 6 and 7 p.m.; tickets must be picked up at Town Hall at 8 a.m. on the day of the show.
• July 25: Tyrone Wells
• July 26: Fabulous Dialtones
• July 27: Chris Westfall (John Denver Tribute)
• July 30: Kids’ Night: Children’s Theater “Aladdin” at Town Hall with shows at 6 and 7 p.m.; tickets must be picked up at Town Hall at 8 a.m. on the day of the show
• Aug. 1: Overtime
• Aug. 2: Carnival Night at the Bandstand, 6:30-9:30 p.m.; Dickens Parlour Theater Magician on the Bandstand stage 8-9 p.m.; Sunshine the Clown: Face-painting (air brush) and balloon making on the Boardwalk 7-9 p.m.
• Aug. 3: Jimi Smooth & HitTime
• Aug. 8: “Dancing through the Decades” with DJ Batman. 7-9:30 p.m.
• Aug. 9: Hope Road (Bob Marley Tribute)
• Aug. 10: Monkee Paw
• Aug. 15: Talent Show with Mario Rocco
• Aug. 16: The Philly George Project
• Aug. 17: Love Seed Mama Jump
• Aug. 22: U.S. Navy Country Current
• Aug. 23: The E. Street Shuffle (Bruce Springsteen Tribute)
• Aug. 24: The Vigilantes Acoustic Duo
• Aug. 29: The Bullbuckers
• Aug. 30: Three Sheets Acoustic Trio
• Aug. 31: The Stims 6:15-7:45 p.m.; Jesse Garron’s Tribute to Elvis 8-9 p.m.
• Sept. 1 Jazz Funeral 5:30 p.m.