Spring is the the air, with flowers in bloom and bright colors finally returning to the Eastern Shore landscape. The color pink will be in full force on the Ocean City boardwalk this weekend as a sea of pink moves its way through the town for the 4th Annual Ocean City Race for the Cure. In addition to race day on Sunday, April 19, there is an entire weekend of events planned for supporters.

Race weekend kicks off Friday, April 17 with the Concert for the Cure at Seacrets from 7-9pm, featuring Eclipse, a Journey tribute band. The event has a suggested donation of $5 to Komen Maryland and will include free appetizers and happy hour drink specials all night long.

The fun continues on Saturday with two family-friendly events. From 1-3pm, Planet Maze will offer two-hours of unlimited play for $15. Entry fee includes two hours of access to Lasertron, the Climbing Maze and outdoor mini-golf. Half of the proceeds will be donated to Komen Maryland. From 3-5pm, attend Skate for the Cure at The Carousel Hotel. Cost is $10 per person and includes your skate rental. All of the proceeds from Skate for the Cure will be donated to Komen MD.

“This is such a fun weekend of events, and a great get-away weekend for a group of girlfriends or the whole family,” said Jill Brady, Ocean City Race Manager. “Enjoy a break after this long winter while making a difference in the fight against breast cancer in Maryland.”

And finally…Sunday is race day! The Race Village will be set up in the inlet parking lot and opens at 7am with music, food, sponsor booths and a Survivor Parade. The race begins at 9am. New this year is the Beachwear Dash – participants are encouraged to wear their best beachwear (shades, water wings, Hawaiian shirts, etc…) for a chance to win a prize.

Komen Maryland has invested $40 million in community breast cancer programs since 1993 with fundraising events like Race for the Cure. 75% of the funds raised in Maryland stays in Maryland, with the remaining 25% used to support peer reviewed scientific research funded by Susan G. Komen. For more information on the Race Weekend or on Komen MD, visit www.komenmd.org.